Director, Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna
• 1977-1983 Medical School, Heidelberg University, Germany
• 1982-1983 Visiting student, University of Iowa, IA, USA (with Prof GF Gebhart)
• 1983-1984 Medical School, Freiburg University, Germany
• 1984 Diploma: Graduation MD
• 1988 Diploma: State Doctorate, PhD (in Physiology)
• 1985-1988 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Physiology, Heidelberg University, Germany
• 1995-2000 Heisenberg-more » Award (Professorship) from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
• International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
• German and Austrian chapters of the IASP
• Society for Neuroscience
• German Neuroscience Association
• German Physiological Society
He was the Congress President for the Satellite Symposium to the 9th IASP World Congress on Pain (Vienna), 1999 in Heidelberg. Following this he was also the Congress President for the Satellite Symposium to the EFIC Triennial Congress ‚Pain in Europe IV’, 2003 in Vienna.
The Centre for Brain Research studies central nervous system mechanisms of inflammatory and neuropathic pain. They also aim to identify novel targets for effective pain therapy and for the prevention of pain chronicity. They explore cellular and network mechanisms that lead to the amplification of pain such as synaptic long-term potentiation (LTP) and impaired GABAergic inhibition in the spinal cord dorsal horn.